Friday, March 29, 2013

How to put on the application / job I no formal work experience if you do not experience again need to start?

Doubt from Katie Burrows: What do I put on an application/ resume for work experience when I have no formal work experience?

All I have is an internship on a political campaign and some babysitting experience and community service. I have a high school diploma and one semester of college as far as education. Everything else I have is just from hobbies or is self-taught. How do I have a full resume and make it stand out when this is all I have to work with? Please help!


It’s related to What do I put on an application/ resume for work experience when I have no formal work experience? may are required to fix issues ourselves. Hopefully you like you will find in many ways, creating the way you live better. Wishing related to What do I put on an application/ resume for work experience when I have no formal work experience? happens to be a response as time goes on.

Optimum solution:


Answer by steve.s

I’ll try and help you with this.


First you will want to make a profile for yourself so at the beginning of your resume have Profile. Don’t use Objective or Summary of skills. Just plain Profile


So below Profile we want a few (3 or 4) Highlights of you. Perhaps you have knowledge of MS Office so perhaps we can type something like this for you since you have worked for a political campain. Keep it factual though.


Knowledge of MS Office; strong interpersonal, and written and verbal communication skills; experienced with the

demands of a 24/7 workplace.


Or something like this.


Record of consistently meeting deadlines; organized and self-directed.


So in your Profile you want to HIGHLIGHT yourself.


Next you will have something like. Areas of Experience/Skills


In this section you will list some of your experiences and relevant skills pertaining to the positiion you want. Keep it in point form and have 6 – 12 of these. If you have used an RF scanner put in “RF Scanner” if you have experience or relevant training in 5s or Six Sigma then put that in. We’ll get more in detail with some of your Experience/Skills later.


Next you will have a “Training” section.


In this section you will put every piece of training you have had. Keep it in point form and list as many as you can think of. It doesn’t matter if it is relevant to the job now or not. This will show employers that your willing to learn.


Next you will put in your “Experience” You will want to start your experience off with a short paragraph before you get into the nuts and bolts of your experience.


Have you ever received an award for something you have done when working on the political campain? Or during your community service? If so then write something like. “6 months of award winning service” Blah blah blah. and just touch on some of the things you did and show that you progressed in your role.


Now you will type in your employer with dates of service. Just below that you will type your “title” or position held. Here is the rule I have and it seems to work for me.


First Employer or Most recent have 5 highlights on how you did your job. 2nd most recent have only 2-3 highlights. and the 3rd have a short sentence. Anything after that I would just write the “employer, dates and job title” with NO highlights unless it is something that is completely relevant to the position being applied for.


Then below that tell the reader “How you did your job” rather than “what” you did. Recruiters already know from reading your job title “What you did” They are interested in “how” you did it. Make 3-6 points per employer or service. Try to keep it “aimed” towards the position being applied for. If you applying for a manufacturing job and your back ground is political then you will have to put some points in your “Experience/Skills” section that will show perhaps some hand and power tools that you have used.


Basically put you will find that you have 5 different resumes aimed towards different fields. I know I have at least that many but it’s basically all the same.


Now after you have finished putting in your experience you will add your Education. Now I have a college education however I only have it listed on resume’s that are for a particular field. I’m a Gas Technician by trade however I don’t have that education listed on a resume for a “WareHouse” position. As recruiters will see that and think right away that I’m going there for the “short term” and then I don’t get an interview.


It’s something I bring up at the interview and let it be known that I do have a college education and I have no interest in pursuing my field choice because I found my heart wasn’t into it and if my heart isn’t into that field than I’m not going to succeed at it. Recruiters love hearing stuff like that.


Now I do have my education listed on resumes for positions in the Automotive sector as it shows employers that I have at least a general understanding of the manufacturing and build process as well as I have enough intellect to learn new skills.


From there you are done. Try to keep it to one page if you can. If you can’t then I suggest condensing it or take away some info from your “experience” section.


Sorry this is long winded however if you need any info or help then don’t hesitate to message me.


Fully grasp greater?

Give your answer to this inquiry below!


First scene of the film – A Scanner Darkly.


Scanner Camera – Scooter


Picture using Scanner Camera – Scooter


Scanner camera photography


How to put on the application / job I no formal work experience if you do not experience again need to start?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive